PSA on Covid19March 18, 2020
HotSculpting: The Secret to a Tight and Contoured BodyApril 14, 2020
If you are a passionate beauty enthusiast and skin care junkie, you likely understand how regular facial treatments in Scottsdale, AZ can help maintain a youthful, clear complexion. However, as people across the state of Arizona stay at home to help flatten the curve, many are wondering: How do I keep my skin healthy while in quarantine?
Expert Tips for At-Home Skin Care
From DIY facials to useful tips and tricks for dealing with stress-induced acne, consider this as your one-stop guide to self-isolation skincare.
- Continue your regular routine and be mindful of indoor aggressors
If you already live a generally healthy lifestyle, being consistent with your regimen is key to keeping your skin plump and bright. When you stray from your skin care rituals, sleeping habits, and balanced diet, you will notice a dulled and dehydrated complexion, more congestion, and an increased chance for breakouts. In contrast, maintaining your pre-quarantine lifestyle can help your skin stay calm, clear, and protected from the elements.
In addition, indoor aggressors such as artificial sources of blue light deprive skin of its vitality. Applying sunscreen should remain an essential part of your routine to help combat blue light from electronic devices as well as from sun rays that can creep through windows. Remember, neglecting self-care will reflect on your appearance.
- Add professional-quality treatments to your weekly skin care routine
Doing an at-home facial once a week can help decongest your pores, remove excess dead skin cells, improve circulation, and support your skin with beneficial nutrients such as antioxidants, proteins, vitamins, and minerals.
Here’s how you can simulate a spa experience at home:
- Cleanse. If you’re wearing makeup, double cleanse to remove every trace of makeup, dirt, and sebum from your skin.
- Use a facial steamer to help open up your pores. If you do not have an at-home steamer, cover your head with a clean towel, then place your face over a pot of hot water with a few drops of essential oils or herbal tea.
- Try an enzyme scrub to remove dead or dulling skin cells. If you have sensitive skin, use a less abrasive exfoliating scrub.
- Apply a mask. After washing off the scrub, rid your skin of impurities with a mask that targets your skin concerns (dryness, acne, etc.). Wash off the mask after a maximum of 20 minutes, which is enough to deliver key ingredients.
- Massage the skin all around your face, focusing movement upward. Spend as much time as you would like on this step since it plays a significant role in delivering oxygen-rich blood to the skin.
- Press (never rub) a hydrating toner into your skin using a cotton pad to quench and balance the pH scale. A good hydrating toner also serves as a carrier system to help with product penetration for your creams and serums.
- Use a serum and moisturizer. Now that your pores are clean and open, soak in some nutrients by applying a serum and moisturizer targeted to your skin’s needs.
- Don’t forget your eyes and lips. Apply a layer of hydrating eye cream and moisturizing lip balm to complete your spa experience.
Do this eight-step regime once a week or every other week to maintain supple, beautiful skin while your appointment at Renew Stem Cell & Laser is on hold. As an added bonus, a night of pampering is always a pleasant distraction.
- Do not panic if your skin begins to break out
Acne has a pesky habit of appearing when we’re stressed, and that is not a coincidence. “Stress produces a chemical reaction in the body that can wreak havoc on the skin, causing sensitivity, reactivity and inflammation. During times of stress, cortisol is released, which can cause the skin to create more oil and sweat, leading to breakouts,” said Candace Marino, a celebrity aesthetician.
If you have an existing skin condition such as eczema, rosacea, or psoriasis, feeling stressed often triggers flare-ups. “When cortisol levels rise, our immune system becomes weakened and that is when we see these conditions exacerbated,” Marino added.
While living a carefree life during these uncertain times can be difficult, there are some things you can do to maintain or achieve clear skin:
- Do not touch your face to avoid breaking out or irritating existing pimples.
- Fight back against breakouts by getting at least seven hours of sleep each night, drinking plenty of water, and increasing your intake of green leafy vegetables.
- Continue moisturizing your face, even if your skin type is oily. Stripping the skin of its natural oil sends a signal to your brain that the skin is unprotected. In turn, it will signal the skin to produce an excessive amount of sebum, which can lead to various forms of acne.
Breakouts and outbreaks can be overwhelming. To relieve stress and anxiety, it may help to try the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s tips on protecting your mental health while in quarantine. The less stressed you are, the better your skin will look and feel.
- Consider this time as a vacation for your skin
According to a survey from 2017, 41 percent of Americans aged between 30 and 59 wear makeup every day, and 25 percent use makeup several times per week. Unfortunately, wearing and removing makeup on a frequent basis can lead to acne, uneven skin tone, and a myriad of other skin problems. Furthermore, forgetting to wash your face before bedtime allows bacteria and particles from your makeup to seep into the skin and eyes, which can lead to irritation and potential eye infections.
Now that you are spending a considerable amount of time indoors, you can simplify your routine to prevent unintended skin damage. Consider taking a break from makeup, which can make a huge difference in your skin’s health.
- Your facial appointment at Renew can wait
Treating yourself to a facial is arguably one of the most refreshing and satisfying feelings in the world. Here at Renew Stem Cell & Laser, the benefits of our facial treatments typically include skin that looks and feels tighter, softer, brighter, and years younger. But during these trying times, choosing to stay home is important in order to decrease the spread of COVID-19.
Due to the nature of an aesthetician or skin expert’s profession, they are constantly in close contact with clients, which makes social distancing a challenge, even with increased hygiene and protective measures. Most facial treatment facilities are keeping their doors closed at this point, but if your local spot remains open for business, you should not feel guilty about rescheduling your appointment. At Renew, we understand that your health and safety is a leading priority.
As you #stayathome and await your next facial appointment, now is the perfect time to be kind to yourself and try these skin care tips to help preserve your healthy, flawless, and breathtakingly beautiful complexion.
For any questions and concerns regarding our services, or if you would like to schedule a consultation, please contact our office by calling 480-869-4666.